Cold weather doesn’t mean you can’t have color outside. We are fortunate to live in the Evergreen State where we can enjoy verdant green year round.
WINTER SURVIVAL GUIDE
Even during cold, gray and rainy weather, gardeners never stop thinking about nature and growing. Our words of advice: Cultivate, not hibernate! Whether it be bringing colorful cut branches indoors, feeding our feathered friends, planting container gardens, starting seeds, growing houseplants or even dreaming, planning and journaling, keep your growing juices going.
Here are some things to do to satisfy your need for all things nature:
1. Grow a windowsill herb garden. Little pots of ‘Scarborough Fair” herbs (parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme) will do well in a well-lighted location.
2. Spruce up your houseplants or buy some new ones. Houseplants are nature’s air freshners.
3. Create a miniature garden using tiny conifers, air plants, rocks, moss and fairies.
5. Envelop yourself with fragrant, soothing botanical lotions. Orange Blossom and Lemon Parsley lotions are our customer favorites.
6. Use red or yellow twig dogwood branches for vertical impact in outdoor or indoor containers.
7. Plant winter containers near entries and paths to enjoy. The 3 P’s: Primroses, pansies, and paperwhites are great cool season plants for color and fragrance.
8. Get comfy cozy with sipping broth; a tea-infused drink in Thai Lemongrass, Indian Spice, Tomato Basil or Spicy Tortilla favors.
9. Watch hummingbirds enjoy their breakfast while you enjoy yours; ie. delicious Danish Kringle of course.
Choose plants with interesting foliage and form that will stand out in the winter landscape or in your containers. We’re in Hellebore Heaven! Hellebores are ideal plants for winter WOW under trees and shrubs, as well as in containers. Not only do they bloom during winter and early spring, they are hardy, evergreen and deer-resistant.
COME TO OUR HELLEBORE CLASS on Saturday January 30 @ 10:00. Katie from Skagit Gardens will introduce tried and true, plus new, varieties. She will also show you how to use hellebores in your containers and garden beds.
Please see our Great Plants for your Winter Garden tip sheet.
Many of our plants need help to survive the winter cold. With a little extra care, they will provide continuous enjoyment during the wet gray months ahead.
See PLANTS for more of our picks that look great in Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall.
Bellevue Nursery is open year round! We’re a local legend for offering the most beautiful, freshest Christmas Trees, in addition to the largest assortment of wreaths, swags, centerpieces and cut greens in town. Visit our Holiday Gift Shop for ideas and inspiration, and of course for our great selection of ornaments, holiday décor, lights, and holiday plants. Avoid the malls and bring the family in to enjoy and marvel at our themed trees. The most popular attraction? The toy Christmas Train with Santa as the jolly engineer.
Nothing adds Christmas cheer to your home or office better than Poinsettias, and ours are the best! Plain and simple or dressed for a party, you can be assured that your premium quality Poinsettia is fresh and well cared for. Christmas Cactus and Cyclamen will also add splashes of much needed winter color.
Visit our HOLIDAY page for more inspiration.
See our WINTER CHECKLIST.